We have spent the past few months developing the Return to Learn 2020 plan that was carefully reviewed and approved by the FSSD School Board July 20th. We are proud to share it, as well as some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding this year’s plan, to help you fully understand the guiding principles that we will use to open and operate schools this year.
The FSSD will offer two options for K-8 families this year, in-person and virtual learning. At some times during the year, there may be students who will need to learn remotely until they can return to in-person learning. The following explanations may be helpful before you begin to read the Return to Learn 2020 plan:
- In-Person learning occurs when students choose to attend their zoned school each weekday and are assigned classroom and subject area teachers with face to face instruction. This decision must be made for the entirety of each semester.
- Virtual learning is the selection of a semester of learning at home primarily using online resources and taught by a certified FSSD teacher assigned to a group of virtual learners. The FSSD Virtual Learning Program is a fully accredited alternative to in-person attendance for kindergarten through eighth-grade students. Courses will mirror the content/courses being taught at the school sites.
- Remote learning happens when a student, class or school must transition to an off-campus environment, such as their home, while learning continues using primarily online resources until school reopens or the student has been cleared to return.
For those families who choose Virtual Learning for this semester, you are invited to complete the brief online enrollment form immediately by going to Skyward Family Access and submitting your intent by midnight July 24. This is a quick turnaround because the Virtual Learning classes need to be formed and teachers assigned as soon as possible before the August 7 start date for both In-Person and Virtual Learning.
To enroll your child in the Virtual Learning option:
- Log in to Skyward Family Access and select the online form and parent agreement for your student.
- Upon logging in, you will see a red icon in the top right of the page that states “An online form is now available to fill out.”
- Click the “Fill Out Online Form” for your child.
- If you are unable to access your Skyward Family Access account, select the “Forgot Password” link on the sign-in page or contact your child’s school office.
If you are choosing the In-Person Learning option and you have already registered for 2020-2021, you do not need to do anything at this time. If you have not yet registered for school, please go to Skyward Family Access and complete the enrollment process.
I would like to take a moment to thank you for your patience, flexibility, understanding and support as we begin the 2020-2021 school year. We have planned and are operating with one overarching emphasis: the Return to Learn 2020 plan includes learning options that we believe are best for children and families in varying circumstances during this pandemic. We always appreciate your feedback and input in this new learning journey. Our pledge to you is to listen with open minds and a firm commitment to doing all we can to make this year – with all of the additional guidelines and precautions – one that you and your child will remember as engaging, exciting, and academically impactful.
David Snowden, Ph.D.
Director of Schools